Sunday 2 October 2011

Liz Earle Sheer Skin Tint SPF15

RRP: £21/40ml
# of shades available: 3

--What does the promo say?--
"The perfect way to enhance your skin. Our rich and creamy, yet lightweight formula leaves all skin types looking naturally dewy, even and radiant. With mineral UV SPF15, it’s enriched with our own blend of natural source vitamin E, borage and avocado, specially selected to work in harmony with our skincare range."

--Packaging--
The dark blue shiny tube is a big departure from the matte pastel colours that we usually see Liz Earle's products packaged in, and yet somehow it still seems to fit well with the brand. The lid is easy to open when you need it (it just twists), and closes securely when you don't. I didn't receive these, as I was able to request the shade I wanted from the PR department, but for every first order of this product from the website, you also get a mini sample of each shade available: this enables you to test them out to see if you've got your shade choice right the first time, and, if you haven't, to return the full size product unopened. This means the full size tube can be sold on to someone else, avoiding the eventuality of sending perfectly good unused product to landfill. Nice manoeuvre.

--Application--
The Liz Earle website states: "Apply a little Sheer Skin Tint onto forehead, nose, cheeks and chin, then blend with fingertips over your face." All fairly simple stuff. You can of course, also use other products under or over the Sheer Skin Tint, such as primer, concealer or powder.

--Appearance--
A shiny, stiff cream that gives a dewy finish on the skin. The colour match was not bad at all, but maybe I was just lucky - with only 3 shades available, not everyone will be. However, as this is Liz Earle's first foray into colour, I suppose they can be forgiven (for now).

--Coverage--
Not great at all, even with the use of a heavy-duty concealer. However, I appreciate that most of Liz Earle's target audience won't be buying this for coverage purposes.

--Scent--
There are complaints online about the smell of the product, stating that it smelt overwhelmingly of potatoes. While this is detectable, it is only there in trace amounts; the overall earthiness is not unpleasant, and, to me, far from offputting.

--Texture and consistency--
This was really my biggest bugbear. I found that while the product sat okay on the skin once applied, in the fingers it was far too sticky for my liking. I much prefer the creamier consistency offered by other tinted moisturisers that I've tried, such as the one made by Arbonne.

--Longevity--
No better or worse than other products that I've tried - but by this stage it would have taken something stellar to redeem the product in my eyes.

--Value for money--
I sadly can't say that I would pay the requisite £21 for this product. Perhaps it works for some people, but for me the consistency and lack of coverage really killed it. Even in general, though, I'd say the price is a bit too high: £21 for 40ml also buys you tinted moisturisers from Dermalogica and MAC, which I could understand others going for over this for sheer efficacy alone. Casting the net more widely, for your same £21 you get 50ml of product from Elizabeth Arden, Stila and Benefit - all of whom have proven their expertise and popularity in the field of cosmetics. Overall a disappointing product from Liz Earle which does not meet their usually high standards.

1 comment:

kookaburra said...

I too have been left disappointed with this product. The finished appearance is far too dewy and feels sticky on the skin. It has a luminescence to it but barely any coverage and does not even out redness. I found my concealers don't work well with it and look too obvious. I will say it makes a fab primer - I used it under foundation on a night out and it looked fab. I think it smells metallic personally! Won't buy again but can you recommend a similar product that isn't too heavy for spot-prone skin but provides some coverage that is mostly natural ingredients?