Tuesday 14 August 2007

Maybelline Define-A-Lash Mascara


RRP: £5.49
# of shades available: 2

--Packaging--
As you may have noticed, this mascara tube is bright green, and I don't really know what to make of that. On the good side it's funky, young, and stands out among the many black, brown and navy blue mascara tubes. On the bad side it's a bit too acidic-looking and retro for me, but that could just be me being old-fashioned. Anyway, Maybelline's main selling point with this mascara is due to the unique brush - it's made of rubber, meaning that it works with the curve of your lashes more, and it has a rollerball technology just inside the neck of the tube, which is meant to eliminate clumps from the brush every time the brush slides out of the tube (allegedly).

--What does the promo say?--
"Fancy sexier, more defined lashes?
NEW DEFINE-A-LASH lengthening zero-clump mascara.The unique shaped-to-the-lash brush is ultra flexible, designed to reach and accentuate each and every lash. NEW DEFINE-A-LASH mascara has a lightweight formula and unique built-in clump remover leaves zero clumps on brush for zero clumps on lashes."

--Application--
Same as any other mascara on the market. No tricks there.

--Appearance--
On the brush it appears to live up to its promises. No clumps the size of a small island here. Again, when you apply to your lashes, no clumps. So technically it does what it says it does. However, despite the rubber brush, I found it didn't truly separate my lashes, so while there were no clumps, a few of my lashes did cling to one another, meaning I still had to get out my eyelash brush and go through them once the mascara was dry, which rather defeats the point of the exercise really. It also only comes in two shades: black and brown. I usually use black, so this isn't exactly a problem for me, but come on, most mascara ranges can manage better than this.

--Longevity--
Impressively, it doesn't budge, even in the rain, despite not being advertised as waterproof, and yet there are no problems removing it. Good work.

--Value for money--
Perfectly fine, all things considered - it's in the same price range as most other high street mascaras. However, I've not had mine very long, so we'll see.

--Other comments--
I was intrigued by this mascara as I'd never seen anything like it. However, while it's a nice mascara in its own right, and Maybelline have made a pretty good effort with the concept, I'm not sure it totally does what it says on the box. Next time I'll probably just stick with their years-old classic, Maybelline Great Lash.

No comments: