Saturday 29 September 2007

Max Factor Flawless Perfection



RRP: £12.99
no. of shades available: 6

*Please note I tried this on a sample basis, so while I'll try and comment on packaging etc as best I can, I have not yet tried the full size standard version.

--What does the promo say?--
"Flawless Perfection introduces a revolutionary new approach to foundation - a unique patented two-step system incorporating separate skin perfecting and colour finish formulas designed to work together to deliver a freshly applied, flawless look which lasts throughout the day. The secret, a lightweight first step that creates a smooth canvas, so the liquid colour doesn't fade or settle into fine lines. Two steps to perfection!"

--Packaging--
A two-part plastic bottle containing a primer in one side and a foundation in the other side. The bottle stands on its navy flip-top lid. Convenient and easy to use.

--Application--
Rub a small amount of the primer all over your face (though as usual I'd recommend staying away from the eye area). Judging from my sample, you need slightly more of this primer than you need from other primers, such as the No 7 primer. Once it's fully absorbed, add the foundation using your usual technique.

--Texture--
The primer is very smooth and light, and not as thick as the No 7 primer. I didn't notice any textural difference between this foundation and other foundations.

--Appearance--
Honestly? I wasn't all that impressed by the effects. There was no difference between the overall finish of this foundation + primer combo and other foundation + primer combos I've used before. So all it tells you is that you get better effects if you use a primer, which we knew anyway...

--Longevity--
Excellent, but then again any foundation/primer combination will be, unless either of the two elements is shockingly bad.

--Coverage--
No better than other products I've used previously.

--Value for money--
£12.99 seems a bit on the expensive side. I don't think I'd pay more than £10 for this. While conceptually it is brilliant (I don't think I've seen any other foundation that comes with its own primer) and technically it should be excellent value for money (you almost pay this price for a primer by itself in many cases), the amount of primer you have to use from this Max Factor product betrays the illusion. Drop by drop, the No 7 is probably better. Plus, while the partnership of the primer and foundation is ingenious for travelling, I find it slightly irritating that you have to use so little of the foundation in comparison to the primer, meaning that one side will probably run out before the other, rendering the concept useless.
The option of a mere 6 shades also seems a little disappointing - this foundation will probably accommodate pale through to olive skins, but not much beyond that.
My advice? Choose something else.

No comments: