Friday 9 March 2012

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup

RRP: £26.50/30ml
# of shades available: 24

--What does the promo say?--
"Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup. 15-hour staying power. Flawless all day. This worry-free, long-wearing foundation makeup stays fresh and looks natural through heat, humidity, nonstop activity. Won't change colour, smudge or come off on clothes. Feels lightweight and comfortable. Now the flawless look you see in the morning is the look you keep all day. Oil-free. Dermatologist-teste. Non-acnegenic. Fragrance-free."

--Packaging--
Possibly the most impractical packaging in the world ever. It's a glass bottle, which maximises the luxury factor but has minimal practicality: I feel forever freaked out that I'll drop it against the sink in the bathroom and there certainly won't be any cutting it open to get out the last dregs towards the end. This, combined with the fact that you have to POUR the foundation out (there's no pump, dropper or anything to make dispensation easier) means that travelling with this foundation is out of the question. It looks glamorous, though, with its subtle gold and white detailing.

--Application--
Pour out a small amount of the foundation (something between the size of a 5p and 10p coin is sufficient) onto the back of your hand. Use your fingers or a foundation brush to blend foundation onto a clean dry face. Finish with concealer and powder.

--Appearance--
I was sold shade 2N2 (Fresco), which I was assured strongly by the saleswoman was the palest shade available in the line. I was a little sceptical, but bought it (I was buying it on a special offer basis - more details of which below). Silly, silly me. From what I can see on the website, 1C1 Shell, 1N1 Ecru or 1W1 Bone would have been more appropriate. I'd say Fresco is about borderline appropriate for me; better in summer than in winter, but easily fixed up with a) not being too heavy-handed in application and b) tarting it up by using a slightly lighter concealer and powder with the product. Still, I am not happy AT ALL to have been fobbed off in this way, so there's definitely a lesson here - if planning on buying a product like this, print out the shades first from the website and take it with you to avoid being sold a near-totally unsuitable shade. In terms of other visual qualities, coverage is good (see below) and the finish is the right combination of matte and sheer (perhaps erring a little more on the dewy side).

--Coverage--
I've suffered with terrible acne for years, but even though it's finally beginning to clear up, I still need decent coverage. This foundation certainly provides that, taking away a lot of the redness and general 'obviousness' of the spots. Minimal amounts of concealer are needed as top-up.

--Scent--
A slightly chemical, nail-varnishy type smell which may put some people off.

--Texture and consistency--
I prefer Double Wear Light over this by quite a long way. While Double Wear Light is smooth and creamy, this is simultaneously runny and sticky. EW. On the flip side, though, it's not actually difficult to blend, even though it doesn't feel nice on the skin at all during application. Once dry it gives a smooth, slightly sheer finish.

--Longevity--
Definitely does as promised - once this is on, it does not budge, which may allow some people to overlook the generally unpleasant consistency.

--Effects on the skin--
The thickness of this stuff would probably stop a speeding bullet, so it's hardly surprising that it seems to protect pretty well against sun, pollution, and general day to day activity. While it doesn't actively improve acne, it never promised to do this and it definitely doesn't make it any worse.

--Removal--
I had no difficulty using this, but then again I'm using a Dr Hauschka oil at the moment to remove makeup. You may find you have more difficulty using traditional lotions or wipes. I'd recommend an oil or gel makeup remover to get this off.

--Value for money--
As mentioned above, part of the reason for my impulsiveness and lack of research into the product was due to me buying it on a special offer basis just before Christmas. If you bought Double Wear, you got the matching Double Wear concealer with it for free. Knowing a good deal when I see one, I went for it the moment I saw it advertised in a magazine. This saved me £19 (or the equivalent thereof in euros), and as in all French parfumeries, I got a load of samples chucked in for free as well. Would I buy it again, though? £26.50 is still a fairly hefty price tag and I don't think I would buy it outside of a special offer. Certainly there's a lot to be said for having the right shade, so I'd probably be able to give a better verdict if I actually had this. However, the texture does NOT work well in its favour and for me is a major turn-off. I'll certainly use the bottle I have, but think harder before buying another. It's more likely that I'll stick to Double Wear Light in the future for its more pleasing texture and equally high quality delivery in other terms.

perfect partners
Foundation Brush, £28
Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer SPF 10, £19

No comments: