Tuesday 24 July 2012

At the (virtual) nail bar

I don't seem to get the time or money to have my nails done often, which is a shame as I usually enjoy it when I do go. However, manicurists tend to be quite expensive in my area, and even the "cheapest" (at around £30 a go!) tend to be quite rough, making it a far less enjoyable experience. I normally resort to paying over the odds for a nicer experience or waiting until I visit my parents, where their local salon is far cheaper and take so much more care over you too. 

BUT there is help at hand in the interim. You may remember that Marks and Spencer has reworked its beauty counter recently, offering visitors access to niche brands from all over the world. Part of this revamp is a virtual makeover service on the brand's website, which allows you to test the newest makeup colours and products on a digital version of your face, as well as select the right foundation for you, and find your perfect look. Another service it offers is the virtual manicure, meaning it's easier to get through those long gaps between nail bar visits.

And it couldn't be easier to use: choose the photograph of a hand that most closely matches your skin tone, and then select colours that appeal from the colour wheel on the left, which magically appears 'painted' onto the nails in the photograph. I won't lie: at times the colour does look superimposed and not fully realistic, but it does give you an impression of how certain colours suit you. A 'history' is stored below the wheel so you can go back to a colour easily if needed, and the product is shown on the right with its full details and price so that you can add it to your basket right away if you like. Observe:
Give it a go today :)

No comments: