Monday 10 August 2009

Kiehl's Blue Astringent Herbal Lotion

RRP: £15.50/250ml
available at SpaceNK, Harrods, and www.mankind.co.uk

--What does the promo say?--
"This formula was created in 1964 as a spot treatment for oily, blemish-prone areas and helps to prevent razor discomfort after shaving. Not tested on animals."

--Packaging--
Kiehl's packaging is notoriously rubbish (see my previous posts on products from this brand), but I've had no problems with this so far - the lid seems to shut securely and so on, and the plastic is see-through so that you always know how much you have left. Topped with the brilliant vintage apothecary style label and the blue liquid shining through the bottle, it really stands out on the shelf.

--Usage--
Pour a small amount of liquid onto a cotton pad, and after cleansing, wipe the cotton pad around your face to pick up any excess oil and dirt traces. Then moisturise as normal.

--Scent--
Disappointingly chemical - it's fairly plain that anything that colour is not going to be entirely natural, but given that it contains aloe, limonene, witch hazel, camphor and menthol, I'd have really expected a more natural smell.

--Appearance--
Bright blue, but no visible traces are left on the skin.

--Short-term effects on the skin--
Not great. I personally found that using the toner made my skin feel slightly tight afterwards, though this is only a temporary effect that subsides quickly, especially once you've applied moisturiser. However, I've also been sharing this toner with my fiancé, who is equally oily-skinned and reports no such effects (perhaps because male skin is different to female skin?).

--Long-term effects on the skin--
Mild to good - oiliness is definitely reduced and I saw a mild improvement in my acne. So in short, it does ultimately do what it says it will.

--Value for money--
UK buyers definitely have the upper hand with this product - if buying in euros it is more expensive - but even then it's hardly cheap, being only 50p cheaper than Clinique's Anti-Blemish toner, though it is more expensive than my next favourite, Liz Earle's Instant Boost Skin Tonic (which is £11 for 200ml). While this toner did get me some visible results, and while one bottle has lasted a long time even with two of us using it, I ultimately would probably not buy it again, as I just feel that the tightness experienced in the immediate seconds after use is just never a good sign.

perfect partners
Blue Herbal Gel Cleanser, £20/250ml
Blue Herbal Moisturiser, £24/100ml
Blue Herbal Spot Treatment, £14/15ml

No comments: